After a 3-month hiatus, The Giraffes Art School proudly reopened its doors on June 15, 2020 in accordance with BC’s Restart Plan. We’re keeping our in-person group classes to a maximum of 2 students for now. And there will be no more than 20 students and staff in the centre at any given time. We’ve also taken many of our one-on-one classes online for your ease of mind.
Following municipal and provincial recommendations, we have implemented certain procedures to minimize the risk of transmission:
- Cleaning and disinfecting classrooms before and after each lesson.
- Disinfecting large, shared instruments before and after each student plays them.
- Keeping our hand sanitizer and soap supply well stocked.
- Taking staff and students’ forehead temperature (with verbal consent) if necessary.
- Adding floor signs and taking extra measures to allow as much physical distancing as possible.
- Training our teachers to ensure they understand and follow all protocols, including wearing face shields during lessons.
- Creating personal art supply kits for our visual arts students. You can purchase these at your next visit.
- You can also give us a call, and we’d be happy to deliver or arrange for a curbside pick-up. They’ll soon be available on our online store as well.
- Supplying disposable masks for staff, students, and families.
- We will update these procedures and policies as new information comes to light.
We ask that parents help us keep our art school safe by:
- Dropping off and picking up your children at the entrance.
- Limiting the time you spend inside the centre and practicing good hand hygiene and physical distancing while there. You can visit the receptionist for the registration process or if you have questions or concerns. But we request you wear a mask if you do so. For the time being, we encourage email or phone communication instead of in-person visits.
- Keeping your child at home if you or they show any symptoms of cold, influenza, or COVID-19, including fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, or headache. If your child displays any of the above, they will not be allowed to attend our in-person lessons.
- Keeping your child at home if you or they have travelled outside of BC in the last 14 days.
- Teaching your children methods of diligent hand washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. We will also do our part to assist in this crucial activity.
- Teaching your children respiratory etiquette such as coughing or sneezing into their sleeve or a tissue and immediately washing their hands.
- Talking to your children about treating people wearing masks with respect.
- Ensuring your child brings their own instrument if they can carry it.
As always, our goal is to provide a space for your children to find their unique voice and confidence through their creativity. And it’s now more important than ever to make that space healthy and safe for you, your children, and our teachers and staff.
Thank you for your continued support and patience during this time of many transitions. We look forward to seeing you online or in person or both!